Special Tribunal for Lebanon finds journalist guilty of contempt

first_imgNews RSF_en Lebanon : Violence against reporters becoming more frequent in Lebanon Organisation News LebanonMiddle East – North Africa to go further News Forum on Information and Democracy 250 recommendations on how to stop “infodemics” LebanonMiddle East – North Africa November 11, 2020 Find out more September 22, 2015 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Special Tribunal for Lebanon finds journalist guilty of contempt News January 14, 2021 Find out more February 4, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information The Special Tribunal for Lebanon ordered on September 28th Al-Jadeed TV journalist Karma Khayat to pay a fine of 10,000 euros after convicting her her ten days ago of contempt of court and obstructing justice. The fine must be paid by 30 October. Khayat can appeal against her conviction.——–In its 18 September verdict, the STL acquitted Al Jadeed of corporate responsibility. It also acquitted both the journalist and the station on a separate charge of endangering supposedly confidential witnesses by filming them for a series of reports broadcast from 6 to 10 August 2012. The trial began in April.The STL, which is investigating Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri’s 2005 assassination, convicted Khayat on the contempt charge for failing to comply with orders to remove the reports from the station’s website and YouTube page after they had been broadcast.Al-Jadeed’s deputy news editor and vice-president of its board, Khayat is facing a possible seven years jail sentence or fine of 100,000 euros, or both. The tribunal is scheduled to pass sentence on 28 September. Khayat plans to appeal.According to Khayat, the reports just aimed to highlight the leak of confidential information from the STL and did not expose witnesses, who were readily available to the media.“Karma Khayat should have been acquitted,” said Alexandra El Khazen, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Middle East and Maghreb desk. “The conviction is absurd because it’s not the broadcasting of reports that is being punished, it’s the failure to take down content that had already been broadcast.“Khayat was doing her job by investigating and informing the public about an issue of national importance. She did not obstruct the STL’s work. We therefore invite the STL to reverse this decision because the penalty she is facing is not proportionate to the objective pursued.”The outcome of the trial is decisive for journalism in Lebanon as it could set a precedent for restricting the right to information. When Al Jadeed received the STL’s request to stop broadcasting the reports, it referred the request to Lebanon’s National Council for Broadcasting, which said they did not violate Lebanon’s laws.No evidence was produced to support claims that the reports endangered witnesses or undermined public confidence in the STL.STL spokesman Wajed Ramadan told Reporters Without Borders that the judge determined that Khayad had been notified of the tribunal’s request by various channels and could therefore have withdrawn the reports but instead “deliberately” chose to ignore the request. The reports were posted on the TV station’s website and on YouTube and remained online at least until 2 October 2013.Reporters Without Borders submitted an amicus brief on the Khayat case to the STL when a preliminary hearing was held on 13 May 2014.Set up by the United Nations at Lebanon’s request, the STL is the first international tribunal to be created to investigate and try a specific act of terrorist violence (the Hariri assassination).Lebanon is ranked 98th out of 180 countries in the 2015 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. Lebanese journalist found shot dead in car Follow the news on Lebanon Receive email alerts Reporters Without Borders condemns a decision by the Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) in The Hague to find Al-Jadeed TV journalist Karma Khayat guilty of contempt of court and obstructing justice, and calls for her conviction to be overturned.last_img read more

Magoha hints at possible change of school reopening dates

first_imgThis comes as Gilgil Member of Parliament Martha Wangari has raised concern over the implementation and credibility of the proposed community-based teaching programme by the Ministry of Education.Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153 Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha as hinted at the possibility of a change in school reopening dates as the government monitors the number of COVID-19 infections.The Education CS was in Migori County to assess the state of preparedness by institutions of higher learning to reopen in the wake of the pandemic.Magoha pointed out the education sector has been held hostage owing to the pandemic but reiterated the government was exploring various options to ensure learning resumes.Also Read  Relief for families as MOH revises Covid-19 burial protocols According to the legislator, the programme is faced with challenges that may hinder its implementation.Also Read  MOH told to vacate, fumigate schools ahead of reopening“The CS for education is taking us in circles over the so-called community teaching programme as we have not been told where and how it will be carried out,” she said.Wangari highlighted that there was a need to address the readiness of parties involved in the implementation process.The Gilgil MP proposed to have candidates resume classes in preparation of the national exams.Also Read  Teachers to report back to school on Monday“We are happy that the numbers of positive cases are going down and many parents do not have fees to pay for an extra year and thus the need to allow the candidates back to class,” she said.This even as she decried the rising cases of teenage pregnancy and drug abuse attributed to learners staying at home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.last_img read more

MBB : Kansas State defeats Southern Miss behind big game from McGruder

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ PITTSBURGH – Behind 30 points from Rodney McGruder, No. 8 seed Kansas State (22-10) survived a hard-fought battle with No. 9 seed Southern Mississippi (25-9) 70-64, to advance to the third round of the NCAA Tournament.McGruder went 11-for-16 from the field, and Southern Miss couldn’t handle Wildcats big man Jordan Henriquez in the paint. Kansas State advances to the third round on Saturday, where it will play the winner of the Syracuse-UNC Asheville matchup.McGruder poured in 18 of his 30 points in the first half as KSU took a 30-27 lead into the break. The Golden Eagles caught fire from deep early in the second half and built a five-point lead with 13 minutes left, but they never found an answer for the 6-foot-11 Henriquez on the interior.The Wildcats big man finished with 15 points, nine rebounds and six blocks and did most of his scoring damage at the free throw line. He went 9-of-10 at the charity stripe to help Kansas State retake the lead.Southern Miss pulled within 64-61 with one minute left but couldn’t hit on back-to-back triples as KSU held on for the win.AdvertisementThis is placeholder [email protected]  Commentscenter_img Published on March 15, 2012 at 12:00 pmlast_img read more

Two Holmdel Residents Arrested, Face Heroin Charges

first_imgTwo Holmdel residents are facing heroin drug charges after police executed a search warrant at a house on Telegraph Hill Road, near Bethany Road, and found 50 packets of heroin, hypodermic syringes and a knife, according to authorities.The house was the site of an emergency in January, when a man was found laying on the front yard, suffering from a heroin overdose, police said.Christopher J. Dios, 27, of Telegraph Hill Road and Alyssa D. Morkevich, 23, of Durant Avenue were arrested on Feb. 18 by detectives from the Bayshore Narcotics Task Force of the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office and Holmdel Police Department. Their arrest was announced by a press release from Acting Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni on March 23. They are currently lodged at the county jail.Dios is being held on $100,000 bail and facing a dozen charges related to heroin distribution, possession, possession of weapon and hypodermic needles. Morkevich is being held on $60,000 bail and and is charged with eight counts related to heroin distribution, possession and possession of hypodermic needles and drug paraphernalia.Bail was set by Monmouth County Superior Court Judge Francis J. Vernoia, P.J.Cr.The case is assigned to Monmouth County Assistant Prosecutor Michael Costanzo, of the Office’s Narcotics and Criminal Enterprises Section.Community members who wish to give information about the illegal distribution of drugs in the Bayshore region can call Det. Lt. Jay Clark, at 732-431-7160 extension 7119; or to Monmouth County Crime Stoppers at 800-671-4400.last_img read more

After Nine Years, A Determined Brookdale Student Earns Her Degree

first_imgLINCROFT – “Did you ever think this day would come? I certainly had my doubts and I’m sure the doctor who diagnosed me never dreamed I would ever be capable of earning an associate’s degree, let alone have the ability to speak before you today.”These are the words of Emily Brush, a Brookdale Community College graduate with cerebral palsy from Freehold, whose journey to her associate degree in arts and liberal education began in 2006.Nine years later, Brush saw her dream of graduating college come to life at Brookdale’s 45th annual commencement ceremony at the Lincroft campus on Friday, May 15 where she gave a moving commencement speech to families, faculty and her fellow graduates. Her 10-minute speech was delivered by a computerized voice.Due to her disability, Brush was only able to handle one course per semester, but she did not let that stop her from achieving her goal of earning an associate degree from Brookdale and becoming a part-time teacher’s assistant, she said.“Despite my predicament, my parents, teachers and therapists never allowed me to adopt a ‘no can do’ attitude,” said Brush. When she was inducted into the National Honor Society as a junior in Colts Neck High School, her parents insisted she earn the honor with 30 hours of community service each year, just like everyone else. “I was not allowed to use my disability as an excuse for not trying or doing something.”Her community service project was to use software to create language boards, to help non-verbal children and adults communicate. Her coursework at Brookdale, especially in digital media and writing, have helped her pursue this skill as a career path. She works as a part-time job as a teacher’s assistant at Hawkswood School for multiply handicapped children in Eatontown.Brush was only one of a number of graduate speakers at the commencement ceremony where the school celebrated the Class of 2015.Over 2,000 students graduated with associate degrees in arts and science, among other subjects.“I cannot tell you how much we value your hard work and all of your achievements as Brookdale students,” Brookdale President Maureen Murphy said as she addressed the graduates. “As you move on to the next phase of your journey, please stay in touch. We want to know what you are doing and we want to celebrate your continued success.”Also honored at the ceremony were commencement speakers David Prown, who spoke about youth programs, and David Goldman, who founded a parental child abduction foundation.Prown, of Red Bank, has developed a number of local mentorship programs and advocated for the graduates to give back to their communities in similar ways.“During your journey to get here today, you have had many supporters,” Prown said. “Now it’s time for you to repay that support, with your support of others.”Goldman, of Holmdel, is the cofounder and director of the Bring Sean Home Foundation, which grew out of his struggle to bring home his son Sean, after they boy was abducted by his mother and taken to Brazil in 2004.Since Sean was reunited with his father on Christmas Eve 2009, Goldman and the foundation have become advocates for victims of parental child abduction.Brookdale also presented Distinguished Alumni awards to New Jersey Supreme Court Judge Teresa Kondrup Coyle and Brookdale women’s soccer coach Katelyn Miller.Graduates Nicholas Antonucci of Jackson, Amber Mallm of Freehold, Alexander McKenzie of Freehold, Patricia Prioli of Howell, Nicholas Sakowski of Aberdeen and Adam Winkler of Manasquan were recognized for their outstanding academic achievements during the ceremony.–By Joey Dominguezlast_img read more

Nelson’s Megale wins gold at Provincial Series Boardercross

first_imgRiders from BC, Alberta and Yukon competed for two days at Big White on sunny and icy conditions for a chance to qualify for the national finals coming up in April.BC Snowboard Association (BC Snowboard) is a non-profit society incorporated under the laws of the Province of British Columbia and is recognized by the Canadian Snowboard Federation (Canada~Snowboard) as the official provincial sports organization responsible for snowboarding within BC. Finnegan Megale of Nelson captured the gold medal in the men’s under-13 division at the Provincial Series Boardercross event this past weekend at Kelowna’s Big White Ski Hill.Megale, riding for the Ripping Giraffe Boardshop team, edged out Xander Appels of the Kelowna Big White Freestyle team and Daniel Loban of Lake Country for the top prize.last_img read more

49ers add WR Bolden, DL Delaire before facing Cardinals

first_imgSANTA CLARA — The 49ers not only activated wide receiver Victor Bolden Jr. to their roster Saturday but they also elevated defensive lineman Ryan Delaire from the practice squad, making both available for Sunday’s home game against the Cardinals.Defensive back Tyvis Powell and offensive lineman Najee Toran were released.Bolden is coming off a four-game suspension for violating the league’s performance-enhancing drug policy, and he adds depth at wide receiver and as a return specialist. The …last_img

Congress heading for a spectacular victory in Assam

first_imgThe Congress is on its way to a spectacular third successive victory in the Assam Assembly elections, winning 16 seats and leading in 68 of the 126 constituencies.Riding on the planks of development and peace, the Congress is set to form the 13th state legislature with most of its ministers, led by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi winning from their respective constituencies.Congress’ steady alliance partner Bodoland Peoples’ Front (BPF) also performed credibly winning two seats and leading in 13 others.The All India United Democratic Front has won one seat and is leading in 17 others.AGP suffered a big reverse when its prominent leader and former two-time chief minister lost to his Congress rival Rockybul Hussain at Samaguri by over 20,000 votes.Mohanta was, however, was leading in his home constituency Baharampur over his Congress rival Suren Bora.Both AGP and BJP won one seat each. The AGP is leading in 12 seats while the BJP in three.All India Trinamool Congress opened its account for the first time in Assam with its candidate Dwipen Pathak defeating former Lok Sabha Congress MP Kirip Chaliha.Leading from the front, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi led the party to victory winning from Titabor constituency and almost all the ministers, barring culture and sports minister Bharat Narah, have romped home with comfortable margin.AGP’s Naba Kumar Doley wrested the Dhakuakhana constituency from Narah, who has been a sitting MLA from the constituency for the last 25 years.Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma, PWD minister Ajanta Neog, Social Welfare Minister Akon Bora, Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain and Congress ally BPF’s representatives in the cabinet Pramila Rani Brahma and Chandan Brahma have also won.advertisementThe Congress wrested seven seats – Bokajan (ST), Karimganj (North), Dergaon, Bokakhat, Khumtai and Raha–from AGP, BJP, AIUDF and Independents.Congress’s Klengdoong Engti wrested the Bokajan (ST) seat from Independent sitting MLA Jagat Singh Engti and Arun Phukan defeated sitting Independent MLA and former ULFA militant Jiten Gogoi.- With PTI inputsFor more log on to: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/specials/assembly-elections-2011/last_img read more

Video: Mike Davis’ Family Goes Nuts After He Gets Call From San Francisco 49ers

first_imgMike Davis on the phone with the 49ers on draft day.Mike Davis NFL Phone CallFormer South Carolina running back Mike Davis is off to San Francisco to become the newest member of the 49ers’ backfield. Davis was taken in the fourth round of this past weekend’s draft as the 125th pick overall. When he received the call from the team, his family, as you’ll see below, was beyond excited. Verizon captured the moment and put it on YouTube – check it out:Davis should help fill a void, now that longtime 49er Frank Gore is gone. Davis is also excited about getting to watch Golden State Warriors guard Steph Curry play in person, for what it’s worth. oh man i get to see @StephenCurry30 play now !!!— IG MikeDavisRB (@MikeDavisRB) May 4, 2015In his three years at South Carolina, Davis racked up over 2,400 yards and 22 touchdowns.last_img read more

Moloy Ghatak hands over cheques to Samajik Suraksha Yojana beneficiaries

first_imgKolkata: State minister for Labour Moloy Ghatak handed over cheques to the beneficiaries under Samajik Suraksha Yojana, 2017, on Thursday.The programme was held at Mysore Hall in South Kolkata under Rashbehari Assembly constituency and was organised by MLA and state Power minister Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay. It may be mentioned that Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has instructed all the MLAs to hold camps in their respective areas, to give cheques to the beneficiaries. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaThe schemes are meant for people representing unorganised sectors. There are Provident Fund facilities for the beneficiaries, along with health scheme, security schemes for the construction and transport workers and schemes for bidi workers. The beneficiaries should be between 18 and 60 years of age and they should be residents of Bengal. The children of the parents working in the unorganised sectors get financial assistance from the state government. They are given training in different vocation courses. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayUnder the Provident Fund scheme, the beneficiaries will have to give Rs 25 per month, while the state government will provide another Rs 30 per month. After attaining the age of 60 years, the beneficiaries will get the money, along with interest. In case a beneficiary dies accidentally, the family members or nominees will get Rs 2 lakh and in case of any disability, they will get Rs 50,000. Ghatak said the schemes have become very popular among the people working in the unorganised sectors and added that the schemes have been framed following the initiative taken by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee. Chattopadhyay reiterated that there was huge response among the beneficiaries and said that the state Labour department is conducting massive awareness campaigns so that information about the schemes reaches the lowest strata.last_img read more